Re: runlevel 2 vs 3 vs 5 deprecated in sarge?

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:55:15 +0000, Joao Clemente <jpcl@rnl.ist.utl.pt> wrote:
> I was testing some stuff that needed rebooting my sarge installation an
> I tought to myself that it was a waste of time to startup X at every
> boot....
> So I headed to /etc/inittab to change it to runlevel 3... but I was
> amazed to see that the value there was 2 !!!!
>
> So, do those standarts of 5 = multiuser + X, 3 = multiuser - X, ...
> stoped being used in sarge? Why?
>
> I'm using sarge intalled with rc2 business-card installer
> Joao Clemente

You can have a look at /etc/rcN.d/ (N is the runlevel) and remove the
linkage which will start X when bootup
I think the runlevel standards in debian are't exactly as you wrote
before, it only depends on the linkages in the directory /etc/rcN.d/ ,
and you can modify it as needed.