Pam Errors

Hi,

I seem to be having some issues with Pam correctly working on
my debian sarge system.

I had pam working for smtp auth, samba etc but now I cannot
authenticate using these systems, even su brings up errors

eg

root@winetka:~# passwd libby
passwd: Authentication service cannot retrieve authentication info.

It's bring up some errors in auth.log but not enough
for me to decipher

Nov 26 11:21:36 winetka passwd[11622]: (pam_unix) check pass; user
unknown
Nov 26 11:21:36 winetka passwd[11622]: (pam_unix) authentication
failure; logname=scollyer uid=1002 euid=0 tty= ruser= rhost=

Anyone have any ideas on something i may have stuffed or
has happened?

Thanks in advance.

Simon