Re: suplusing a disk, how to 'clean' up? Overwriting data?

On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 16:09 -0500, Robert Storey wrote:
> I've heard from a security expert that one pass of /dev/random won't be
> enough. Seven passes is said to be sufficient that even the most
> sophisticated equipment won't be able to recover the data.
>
> Darik's Boot and Nuke runs three passes over the entire hard disk, so
> running it three times would be more than enough. Even one run would be
> nearly 99% effective, but do it three time if you're ultra paranoid.

According to http://dban.sourceforge.net/features.html DBAN does
not *just* do Quick Erases.  Maybe 3 passes of American DoD 5220-22.M
Standard Wipe is "good enough".

The ultra paranoid use grinders or belt sanders on their aluminum
platters, and a hammer on the modern glass platters.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

In 1929, when the Great Depresion hit, while all the other
tabulating companies retrenched, Thomas Watson Sr. insisted that
IBM's factories stay open and R&D spending increase. Thus, in
1935 when FDR signed the Social Security Act, and businesses and
gov't had a huge need for tabulating/sorting machines, IBM was in
position to dominate the industry, and did so for the next 45
years.