Re: Sarge root-login was Re: Where are config questions in install of latest sarge, and other questions...

Felixk Karpfen wrote:
On 2004-11-21, Jules Dubois <3f88o9g02@sneakemail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:50:38 -0500, Williams, Allen wrote:

4.  I can't log in to the X desktop as root.  Where do I fix that?

It's a security feature.  If you're using GDM, there's a configuration
option at the login screen to enable you to log in as root.

Since I am preparing to install Sarge - this answer caught my eye.

Because it may make the install more complex.

On the other hand, it may be a false alarm.

The plan <was|is> to install Sarge on a currently empty partition,
keep Woody operational until I am certain that Sarge works (I am still
learning to walk in Debian) and share my /home directory (which is on a
separate partition).

This assumes that all my initial Sarge configurations are done as "root"
and that I create a user and then mount my home partition into Sarge.

While I have no problems in doing all this from the console, I had to
tweak Woody before I persuaded it _not_ to load XWindows at boot.  My
default windows manager is fvwm2 and I load it - when I want it - from
the console.

All advice will be gratefully received.

Felix Karpfen

First, I'm no expert. The last two Sarge installs I did went smoothly. From all I've seen and heard, if you can install Woody then Sarge is a breeze. I did a minimum base install. I used the ext3 file system. The first thing I installed was Midnight Commander. From then on, it's just a matter of installing whatever you want. I never used Woody so Sarge is my first try at Debian. Most things work reasonably well. There have been times when I've had to wait until fixes came down the pipe. By starting now, you should be farther along than I was (and still am).

Have fun,
Jim