Re: Upgrading to Sarge from Woody

* disciple@exis.net <disciple@exis.net> [041124 17:36]:
> # vi /etc/apt/sources.list
> :%s/woody/sarge/g
> :wq
> # apt-get dist-upgrade

That will not work.

> Should I delete everything in this file and just use the above?

Depends on the other sources you have in your sources.list.  If you use
third party packages, they might not yet support Sarge, so you should
remove them, but if you do so, you won't get any updates of that
packages.
Do you use any Packages, which are not from Debian?

> Is this all that is needed to have it upgraded?  Am I missing
> something?  Any other considerations?

First:  The above might not work, if you have "stable" instead of
"woody" in your sources.list.
Second:  It might fail, if you have CD-ROM sources in your sources.list.
Third:  It will fail, if you don't run an "apt-get update" befor
dist-upgrading.

It might be a good idea, to first run "apt-get install apt dpkg" before
running the dist-upgrade.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander