Re: Sarge - sound problems on a ThinkPad T23

Hello

Mark Scott (<scottme@talk21.com>) wrote:

> I installed sarge via netinst on an IBM T23 laptop,
> taking mostly defaults, and ended up with an OSS sound
> setup.
>
> [Sound does not work]
>
> I get the impression that moving to a 2.6 kernel with
> alsa might fix things - but how likely is it I can do
> that without breaking anything?  Would that upgrade be
> a sensible move? Is it really as simple as apt-get
> install kernel-<whatever>?

Yes.

apt-get install kernel-image-2.6-686

should work. If you use grub, your boot loader will be reconfigured to
allow you to select the new kernel. The current kernel 2.4 will /not/
be removed and still be available. If your Sarge is up to date and you
want to use/try the OSS drivers, make sure you purge the alsa-base
package or load the driver manually - hotplug and discover won't do it
if the configuration files from alsa-base are still installed.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976