A generic way to access the local X server as root.

Hello,

I want to do the following thing: when a user press
the poweroff button, there is a xmessage which ask the
user what he want (poweroff, reboot, etc ...). We
could also envisage this for the state of the battery.
This should work even if no user is currently logged
in (in xdm for example)

For this I must be able to access the X server as
root. I am looking for a generic way to do this: I
know in every particular situation how to do this
(basically export XAUTHORITY=<the authorization
file>); but the problem is there is that there no
generic way to know what the authorization file is.

I have written a very ugly hack to guess it; which
work most of the case; but this is *very* ugly.