Re: /var/mail/mail

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:04:58PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> This is a protected file only accessible to root and "mail".  Attempts to
> change its permissions are overrided on startup.
>
> Cron mail notifications are sent to this file. How might I reroute them to
> another mail file such as root (which mail group can read)? I am using exim4
> and there should be a simple way to do this.

I think the best way is to change the file /etc/aliases. A few lines
from that file on my system:

# This is the aliases file - it says who gets mail for whom.  It was
# originally generated by `eximconfig', part of the exim package
# distributed with Debian, but it may edited by the mail system
# administrator.  This file originally generated by eximconfig at Thu
# Apr 15 11:35:34 CEST 2004 See exim info section for details of the
# things that can be configured here.

# Send mail for user mail to user root:
mail: root
# Send mail for user root to user maurits:
root: maurits

"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill