Re: Linux on HardDrive

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 05:39, Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 15:51:02 -0800, Curtis Vaughan <curtis@npc-usa.com>
> > wrote:
> >> I just got hold of an old portable PC, which I want to put linux on.
> >> Since the networking on this device is poor, I removed the harddrive
> >> and hooked it up to my own computer. So, my question is what do I need
> >> to do to the hard drive to get Linux to boot up on it, when I put it
> >> back in the original computer?
> >>
> >> I have formatted the hard disk, but I need to set it up so that it will
> >> boot. How do I do that?
> >
> > Install a bootloader on that hard disk's MBR.  I recommend grub for that
> > task.
> > --
> > Paolo Alexis Falcone
> > pfalcone@gmail.com
> >

> But how do I go about creating the MBR and putting the bootloader there?

replace hdc with the real device you have
grub-install /dev/hdc

you could also
partition and mount your harddrive under /mnt of you'r own computer

run debootstrap with your choise of debian and your local mirror
example:
#debootstrap sarge /mnt/disk http://your.debian.mirror/debian
tis install a basic working debian

now you could chroot /mnt/disk
and do the rest of the install there some ideas might be..

apt-setup
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install kernel-image-your-fav-version
apt-get install all-the-software-you-want-to-use

good luck

--
Ronny Aasen <list@datapart-as.no>