udev + USB camera = ?

Hey guys,

I'm running Sarge / 2.6.8 kernel with udev installed. I've got a Kodak DX-series camera that connects via USB and whose name appears on digikam's list of supported cameras.

Back when I was running Fedora Core 2/3, programs had no problem finding me camera. Under Sarge, however, no luck. Digikam can't find it, and I don't notice any entry created in the /dev directory when I activate the camera.

An acceptable solution is for it to map to /dev/sda1 when I plug it in, because then I could access its photos via the file system. But I didn't even see any device under /dev get created for it. My real ideal however is that digikam can find it directly, which (I *think*) lets digikam<-->camera talk with a richer protocol than just filesystem export.

Is this supposed to be something that I have to wrestle to make work right, or is this something that in Sarge/2.6.8/udev is supposed to Just Work?

(FWIW, I've had no problem with my USB flashdrive keychain creating a /dev node when I hotplug it.)

Thanks,
Christian

--
Christian Convey