Re: Printer Problems

Clive Menzies wrote:

On (19/11/04 14:29), Noah Durell wrote:
Hello,
I seem to be getting this error when I try to add a network printer to my printer list in KDE:

Unable to retrieve the printer list. Error message received from manager:
Connection to CUPS server failed. Check that the CUPS server is correctly installed and running. Error: the IPP request failed for an unknown reason.

This is actually a new error for me. But before when the server was working I tried to add a printer and it would work for printing test pages but not for printing in other programs. I am pretty sure that the CUPS is installed and running because I can see it running in top. Any help with this would be most appreciated.
Hi Noah

FWIW I could never get IPP printing to work and resorted to setting up
network printers via Samba (smb) protocol.  The device URI is:
smb://<domain>/<server>/<printer_name>

The network printer needs to be made available via smb.conf
Hava a look at: http://www.cups.org/sam.html

HTH

Clive

Cool thanks.  I'll give that a shot.