Re: Newbie's question about hard disk partition

 Technically all you need is a "/" partition.  A SWAP partition is highly
recommened; it's the equivelant of virtual memory on Macintosh or Windows.
The others are all optional, so that if one partition gets wiped the others
live, or sometimes it's just handy.
 For example, I have SuSE Linux dual-booted with Debian on this computer, but
a seperate partition for /home/eric/documents from each OS.  I also share it
off with netatalk, so that weather I'm using Debian or SuSE, or my Mac box, I
have the same "my documents" directory.
 I also have a server running Mandrake Linux with "/" "swap" and a seperate
"/var/www" partition, so that if the OS fails or I have to reinstall/switch
distros, I can reformat the system partition without losing my web server
data.
  Cheers,
                     SigmaChi

--
Sarki Gwaggo/Little Dude/Little Bear/Shorty/Dory/Sigma
Dude/SigmaChi/Scotchz/Doorhelp2/Pigme/Erikimo/Neilleo/Scotti.... A.K.A Eric

Registered Linux user #: 366862