Default applications determined by installation order

It would seem that which application is used to handle files of a particular
MIME type (for instance, to open HTML attachments in mutt) is decided by
what order they were installed in.  I just reinstalled Konqueror, and now
Konqueror is used to open any HTML file.  Before that it was Mozilla.  Thing
is, I had manually edited /etc/mailcap to put links nearest the top -- but
that only lasted until the next time apt upgraded a browser, then THAT
browser moved above it in the list and took over.

Shouldn't overriding a user preference like that at least require
confirmation from the user?  Am I missing something, or could this be
reported as a bug against apt?
--
Carl Fink             carl@fink.to
Jabootu's Minister of Proofreading