initrd kernel image, dual boot with NTLDR

Hi all.

As a complete newbie, I've had lots of help from people here over the last
few days, and as a result have upgraded Woody to Sarge.  However, I have
also been advised to install a 2.4 kernel version, as opposed to the 2.2
version that was installed with Woody.

I tried to do this as follows:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.27-1-k7

But, I get a message saying, among other stuff, that I need to configure my
boot loader to use initrd.  It also gives instructions on how to do this for
LILO.  BUT, this is a dual-boot machine, with W2K, and I'm using NTLDR, not
LILO.  So, does anyone know how I fix this using NTLDR or, if it can't be
done, how I can change from using NTLDR to using LILO (crucially, without
breaking Windows!)

Thanks

Brian