Re: Problem with CUPS: need to enter password for lp and lpq several times

On Sunday 21 November 2004 18:03 -0600, Tim Kelley wrote:

> It sounds like you have /jobs set to AuthType Basic / AuthClass User; which I
> believe is the default.

Yes, you are right. I have now changed that to AuthType Digest, with the
result that I can now access /jobs.

I still have the same problem with lp and lpq, though.

> It should accept your Unix password.  Are you using some other sort of
> authentication, such as NIS or ldap?

I'm using CUPS passwords in /etc/cups/passwd.md5 set with lppasswd.

> If not, I would strace your attempts at using lp to see just what the hell
> cups is doing ...
>
> like:
>
> strace lp filename

I tried that, as well as looking at the network traffic when trying to
print a document in Ethereal, but I can't really figure out what's going
on.

Cheers,
Andreas