Webcam in Debian Sarge?

Hi all!

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what webcam
to use for videoconferencing under Debian GNU/Linux (Sarge)?

I have been reading here and there on the subject, but I haven't found
an obvious candidate yet. It seems that the Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
is
one of the better supported ones, but now the driver is no longer
actively
maintained due to some conflict with the kernel developers?

I intend to use the webcam with gnomemeeting (or similar, maybe from
open323.org),
to connect with my family on their laptop running WinXP, don't know yet
what client.

Budget is of course an issue. Luckily, I can get some hardware cheap
through a friend.

I am not currently subscribing to the mailing list, but scan the
archives for
any and all responses. Feel free to mail me with your suggestions,
though.

Thanks for all your help!

best regards,

Inge Thorin Eidsaether
probot at warpmail dot net

***  If an electronic circuit cannot fail, it will. ***