Rescued unbootable is system with d-i netinst CD and got Gnome 2.8 :-)

Hi,

My recent sid upgrade ended me with unbootable PC.  Rest assured it was
relatively simple using d-i netinst image CD I had and now I am with
Gnome 2.8 destop.  Folder with many photos seems faster to display now
and I am happy :-)

In woody days, boot-CD can be booted with "rescue root=/dev/hda1" to get
system booted.  No more.  New d-i CD uses modules, i.e., initrd image so
this trick usually does not work.  (Incompatible modules on HD)

Smart one should have installed old bf2.4 kernel and keep it pointed
grom GRUB by editting /boot/grub/menu.lst .  But I being stupid usually
did not do it nor created boot floppy.

For me,

1. I booted with d-i CD
2. I performed some install process enough to get harddisk probed
3. I mounted hadrdisk (It is device file system.  TAB key is handy when
   typing long device name.)
4. I chrooted to mount point.
5. I found old woody boot kernel (goodness) and missing links from
   /vmlinuz etc.  Fixed it. /boot/grub/conf editted to add safe boot
   with old woody bf2.4 kernel.
6.  Happy reboot.

Does any one know simple way to specify modules location on CD as boot
parameter?  Then above process may be simpler like woody CD but I doubt
it since boot process probing is needed even access HD.  Anyone with
idea?

Osamu

PS: The last resort is always install small system on old swap partition
and fix system from there :-)  I did not do it at least this time.