Re: [OT] Can I make a prototype Free and sell the final product?

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:20:09 -0500, William Ballard
<nospam_40811@alltel.net> wrote:
> I'm hacking together a little prototype for somebody, mostly as
> a curiosity and kindness.  It'll be just a prototype.
> If they like it, I'll flesh it out and charge them money.
>
> Regardless, I'd like to put the prototype on SourceForge.
> (It might help close a sale.)
>
> Do I need some kind of dual license?

You can do whatever you like -- it's your code.  The OS version that
you put on SourceForge will be "out there" for anyone to use and
modify, which is presumably what you want.  For the version you sell,
you're making changes and re-licensing the entire thing to your
client.  If you hold the copyright to all of the code involved, you're
free to change the license as you see fit.  You don't have to
dual-license anything -- there are two distinct versions with two
distinct licenses.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh