Re: Can't SSH in to my machine from off site

Sergio Basurto Juarez wrote:

--- Chuk Goodin <chukgoodin@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm running mostly Woody with some Sarge updates,
and I can't seem to
SSH in to my machine from offsite. I can do it on
the LAN, so I know
sshd is running and working, and I can't do it when
I hook my Linux
box straight into our DSL line, so I suspect it's
probably not the
router (a DI-604).

I've asked other people on my ISP if their port 22
is being blocked,
and I've also tried running sshd on port 60.

I had a similar hardware setup with a machine with a
Mandrake 10
install and it worked fine. There's a little more
information here in
this LinuxQuestions.org thread:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248641
Does anyone have any suggestions about things I
might have overlooked?
Attempts to connect just timeout with no response.

Install nmap
#apt-get install  nmap
after this
run #nmap [external_ip]
replace external_ip with your extenarl ip, the one
that connects to your dsl.

you can see if sshd is listen on that interface!!
Or just do netstat -a | less

Look to see if you've got a line saying *:ssh  *:*  LISTEN

Which will tell you you're listening on all interfaces.

What have you got that connects you to the Internet? A DSL router? If so, have you configured port forwarding?

Regards, Upayavira