Re: Is life with 'udev' good?

On Fri, 2004-19-11 at 15:35 -0500, H. S. wrote:

> My experience has been great with udev except in the case of multi-card
> reader that I have (not sure how to set that up).

Most (if not all) card readers (multi or otherwise) don't provide media
change information, so there's no way for the kernel to generate a
hotplug event for udev.

So, there's a hack - use the all_partitions property for the NAME.
Here's what I use to get access to my CF slot on my multi-card reader:

BUS="scsi", SYSFS{vendor}="Zynet*",SYSFS{model}="USB Storage-CFC*",
NAME{all_partitions}="compact_flash"

This will create 16 partition device files for the CompactFlash LUN. Do
the same for the rest of the LUNs on your multi-reader, and you should
be set. The cards put into the reader would normally be accessible as
the first partition.

I then creat /etc/fstab entries for /dev/compact_flash1 etc. and I can
access them through the "Computer" folder in nautilus. It's not as cool
as having the card show up on the desktop when I plug it in, but hey, it
works.

--
Steven Yap <syap@shaw.ca>