Re: autofs or am-utils?

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 18:17 -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > autofs has a lot of bugs filed against it, but not so many by
> > am-utils.  But then, am-utils isn't in sarge!!???
>
> one need to normalize the "data"
> 	- based on number of users using each app vs the
> 	number of bugs filed
>
> > So, which should I use?
>
> autofs - is the better choice for simple things...
> 	- it's in the kernel
> 	- it ez ( trivial ) to setup
> 	- it does simple automounting for servers things like
> 		mail:/var/spool/mail
> 		home:/home
>
> 	- it does NOT do failover in that, if home1:/home is down,
>  	it will not go find home2:/home instead

If I just want my USB pen drive to be automounted & dismounted,
it sounds like autofs would be the one to use, then.

A slightly tangential question: I'm running kernel 2.6.8 + udev,
and have a USB multi-card reader in addition to the pendrive *AND*
an external ieee1394 hard drive.
Since I'm an xterm kinda guy instead of a nautilus user, what is
the best package to use to automatically recognize & mount these
devices without having to hard-code entries in /etc/fstab?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of
vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."
Dean William R Inge