Re: Where are config questions in install of latest sarge, and other questions...

> 1.  It never asked me the hardware config questions I was used to with both
> woody and sarge.  What happened to them, how do I find out what device support
> is installed, and get support for devices that might not be installed (i.e.,
> download drivers for stuff- although now that I've said it, I guess they're just
> apt packages, right?).

hardware support boils down to drivers compiled into the kernel or
compiled as modules. to check if certain modules are loaded do 'lsmod'.
i am not sure how to check if certain drivers are compiled into the
kernel.

> 2.  My desktop went from KDE to Gnome.  Is this normal?  Where do I set the
> default desktop?

often times you can choose your desktop by using your display manager.
the default desktop probably depends on which display manager (gdm, kdm,
or xdm) is running.

> 3.  This machine is to be used primarily for software development.  Any opinions
> on which desktop is best for that?
>
> 4.  I can't log in to the X desktop as root.  Where do I fix that?  Is this in
> /etc/X11/config (I'm not at my Debian system)?

again, the display manager (at least for gdm) has a setting where you
can disable root logins.

-matt zagrabelny