Automatic mount of usb-storage devices on 2.4.*?

Hi All.

No, this is not about the auto-mounter.  What I am trying to do is
figure out how to consistently mount a given usb-storage device no
matter the order it was inserted.

A little background.  I am running Testing on a Thinkpad 390E with the
kernel-image 2.4.26 and hotplug packages.  I have a camera that is
recognized by Hotplug as a usb-storage device and a memory stick that
is recognized as a usb-storage device as well.  I put a custom user.map
in /etc/hotplug/usb and the devices are recognized and run my custom
script.  So far, so good.

The first device inserted after a system restart (or hotplug restart)
will become /dev/sda1 and the second will be /dev/sdb1 (both are single
partitioned vfat devices).  This is also good, but also where my trouble
starts.  I would like to be able to write a custom script that can
figure out which device file the currently inserted device is
associated with and mount it at certain directory.  To do it manually
I have to guess, but I would imagine the kernel stores this somewhere
in /proc and I have yet to find it.

I find that /proc/partitions will give the major/minor device numbers
of filesystem devices, but I haven't figured out some way to associate
the USB device to a given partition.

I am using the Debian 2.4.26 kernel and the hotplug package and would
like to be able to mount the devices in my filesystem each time they
are inserted.  Has anyone tackled this?  I understand that this is much
easier/possible on the 2.6 kernels, but I haven't been able to get 2.6
to support my older Thinkpad as well as 2.4 does.

I can work around this by having a couple of different mount lines in
fstab, but that isn't as elegant as I would like to implement.

Thanks!

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of