Re: std out & std err

michael wrote:
I have a problem understanding why, when attempting to configure mpich under the 2.4.27-1-686-smp kernel using bash shell, that I lose my std output when I enter (all on the same line)"

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mpich/mpich-1.2.6/ifc-ch_p4 > config.log 2>&1

This is my standard way of doing things and it's worked fine on RedHat and IRIX boxes. Indeed, a simple example gives the behaviour I expect:

$ (date; date -s) > config.log 2>&1;cat config.log
Fri Nov 19 13:01:28 GMT 2004
date: option requires an argument -- s
Try `date --help' for more information.

I do note that the first line of the configure script is
#! /bin/sh

but I believe that should not effect the std out|err of my command line

Indeed, just checked on a RedHat 9 box and the final contents of the ./configure cmd are as expected (ie not the same as on this Debian box)...

Michael