Re: print to a Windows machine's printer

Pascal Bonesh wrote:
<snip>

Hi Michael,

to make this a bit more verbose:
-point your browser to http://localhost:631, that's the cups
administration
-click on 'printers', then click on 'add printer'
-give it a name and such and click next
-choose 'Windows Printer via Samba'
-write the URI in the field - that's something like:
smb://user:pass@workgroup/server/sharename
of course user means your username for windows which shares the printer,
pass is the password, the rest should be clear and can be seen in the
system thingy in the win control panel
-choose the printer and driver

of course samba and cups need to be installed and the printer of the
windows box needs to be supported by cups

pascal

And from the CUPS manual pages it implies it has to be a WinNT box off
which the printer is hanging! So I'm currently awaiting info on where
there is such a box on my network before I can progress this. (It sounds
much easier just to buy a laser and put on my Debian box but will it be
supported if it's a PostScript printer but not listed on the linux printer
page (not got the URL to hand)?)

Ta, M

IMHO it works from WinNT on up. I tried it on a XP machine at work with
a supported printer (postscript) and it worked out of the box.

Just try it - if you get the URI right then it should work.

pascal

okay, now this time I am being really thick: when I try and use said (ie the admin) interface it asks for a username/password but it's not my login (& I'm reluctant to type in the root info!) so what is it?