Re: downloading CD images using jigdo

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 01:06:31AM +0100, Jan Fiala wrote:
> I'm downloading the CD images using jigdo. Last time I did it it
> seemed fine but this time jigdo connects and logs in with each
> package. What a terrible waste of time!  Is there a setting I can
> set when starting jigdo or will I have to suffer through this with
> the remaining CD images?

If all else fails, read the documentation. :-) The following file is
probably installed on your system:

file:///usr/share/doc/jigdo-file/debian-jigdo-mini-howto.html#AEN347

This points to one of the FAQs:

  6.4. jigdo takes a bit long to download the files because wget keeps
  disconnecting and then reconnecting to the FTP server for each
  file. Is there a way to make it faster?

  The download speed can be increased by using an HTTP instead of an FTP
  server - FTP is not a very efficient protocol for downloading lots of
  small files. Additionally, you may want to upgrade to the latest
  version of wget, because that version supports persistent HTTP
  connections, which results in another slight speed increase.

  Unfortunately, even with persistent HTTP connections, the download
  speed will not be as high as that of a single-file ISO download. Such
  speeds can only be achieved with HTTP pipelining - the jigdo GUI
  application will support pipelining.

So the most likely cause is that the previous time you tried jigdo you
had it connect to an http and now to an ftp server, which according to
this doc explains the difference.

HTH,

"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill