Re: Partitioning hard drives

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 20:35:48 -0600
Tim Kelley <tim@it.kpt.cc> wrote:

> Well, if you are going to have all these filesystems on the same set
> of drive spindles,  there really isn't any use to carving up /usr and
> everything else at all.

There are security issues - some experts think it's a really good idea
to keep /tmp and /var away from the root partition. I don't consider
myself an expert, but I've read enough about it to conclude that it's
not a bad idea, particularly if you're running a server. Some of my geek
books  ("Maximum Linux Security" and "FreeBSD Unleashed) emphasize this.

regards,
Robert