ALSA sound on 2.4.20 kernel

First, let me explain why I'm running such an old kernel. This is the most
recent one that allows ACPI to start even when it doesn't find the proper
table entry. And I need ACPI on my laptop.

That said, I'm now trying to get ALSA sound working. Everything looks fine,
but I get a permissions error when trying to access sound as a user. Using
root to start the same things (such as kmix) seems to work fine. What
permissions do I need to change to allow a user to use the sound?

This may also help with my only being able to start games in cedega as root.

Thanks.