From: debian-user-request@lists.debian.org
[mailto:debian-user-request@lists.debian.org] On Behalf Of Allen Williams
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 1:00 AM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: RE: Base system install- eval: 3: Syntax error: newline unexpected
(expecting ")")

Right.  I guess I was doing them in the wrong order.  I have been dissecting the
install scripts all night (what fun ;>).  The first problem is that in a
function called download_release_indices in the file
/usr/lib/debootstrap/functions, there is a sequence like this:

TMPCOMPONENTS="$(sed -n 's/Components: *//p $reldest)"
for c in TMPCOMPONENTS do ;
	eval "
		case \"\$c\" in
		$USE_COMPONENTS)
			COMPONENTS=\"\$COMPONENTS \$c\"
			;;
		esac
	"
done

It is this eval statement that is bombing out saying it found the unexpected new
line, expected ")" (why it expected a parenthesis, I don't know; it doesn't look
like there are any unbalanced here, but that's what it said).

Anyway, he's obviously building a list of the components, which looks like it
can be things like "main", "contrib", etc.  The string in TMPCOMPONENTS is "main
contrib".  USE_COMPONENTS, set in the main script, debootstrap, is empty.

So, just for grins, I just commented all that stuff out and set COMPONENTS to
"main".  That moved me right along, back into a function called download_release
(which calls the above function), until it gets to a section where a variable
called "details" is trying to be set, and that's just awful.  First off, all the
path variables, the source path $path and the destination path, $pkgdest,
evaluate to paths that don't even exist on the CD or the installation ramdisk.
For example, $path, where the files on the CD are supposed to be, evaluates to
dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/Packages, which doesn't exist.  However, a
dists/sarge/main/debian-installer/binary-i386/Packages *does* exist (although
neither nano nor more can read the Packages file, which is 8000+ bytes, so
something is screwy there as well, maybe the inodes are screwed up or
something).  When I hardcode them to what it looks like it wants, the $details
variable winds up empty.  So, I think that somehow when I fixed the original
syntax error, setting that variable to just the value "main" must not have been
what it was looking for and must have had all these cascading effects, because I
don't think the installation script could be THAT buggy.

Tomorrow, I'll download the latest version, and if that doesn't work, start with
woody and upgrade.  I wish there was some documentation on all this.

If I have to start with woody and upgrade, where can I find my ethernet driver,
and where is the documentation on how to load it?

Thanks again,
Allen