Simgear

Simgear is the simulation library used by the "flightgear" flight simulator
and the "vamos" car race simulator. Neither of these will run on my system.

OK, it is "just" a PIII at 575mhz. The graphics card is an ATI mach64 clunker.
DRI is working. Vamos reports a 33 fps frame rate which should play quite
well. Other games doing more rendering, I believe, such as "Tuxracer" play
just fine on this hardware.

What might be symptomatic: The sound in Vamos is intermittant. One hears the
"engine", then silence, then the sound again, then silence, once a second or
so.

Is it simply impossible on this older hardware or may there be something I can
do to get simgear based games running? Tweaking X? Etc.