Re: testing .v. unstable .v. sarge

Michael,

I've been running "Unstable" for years without a problem on several
different desktop machines, including a rather cutting edge Sony Vaio
laptop, without many problems.

But there's the catch, of course, "many". Unstable is well named,
sometimes things change. Stable is very, very stable, that's the
point.

"Testing" is getting ready to become the new "Stable" right now. That
means that "testing" is going to be far more stable than "unstable",
but still it is mostly up to date in software versions. I suggest you
point yourself at "sarge" so that when it does become the new
"stable" you won't find yourself pointing at "testing" as the
developers begin experimenting on it again.

Secure from attack is another matter entirely. It's up to you to avoid
running services that you don't use, utilize ssh instead of telnet
and ftp. Have your machine behind a firewall, and run packet
filtering on your machine as well. Every version of Debian has been
"secure" if the administrator makes it so.

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history