Re: BIG filesystems, Big Files, Transparent Compression?

Hi,

Alex Malinovich wrote:
WRT the actual topic, squashfs is supposed to handle files up to 4 GB
without problems. I have not heard of any 2 GB file problems with it,
but my interest in squashfs has been purely academic. I've never run it
in a business environment.

While it is a read-only filesystem, since you are primarily wanting to
keep ARCHIVE data on there, the fact that it is read-only might not be
that big of a problem. When you want to add more archive data you just
use mksquashfs to append it and you're all set to go. This could be
automated through a script called by your tape backup program for
example. Hope that helps.

Thanks you're right. If the main reason for write capability is to add files to the filesystem then Squashfs can do this. The files have to be added to the root directory but apart from that there are no restrictions on how many appends can be made to the filesystem.

Regards

Phillip Lougher