Re: Disabling access to SSH

* Mark Maas <mark@menem.mine.nu> [041116 16:52]:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying to restrict access to my ssh server from the outside to
> allow only two IP adresses and the internal lan ofcourse.
> And deny access to everyone else.
>
> People are trying the guess a username and password tactic a little
> too much to my liking...
>
> Do I use hosts.deny, hosts.allow for this? If so, which one takes
> precedence?

Deny everything (except what you explicitly allow in hosts.allow)
# hosts.deny
ALL: ALL

# hosts.allow
ssh: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy

Alternatively to allow everyone on your local network (assuming the
standard 192.168 setup), you could do something like

# hosts.allow
ssh: 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

Cheers,

Nick.

--
Debian 3.1
Linux twofish.gotdns.org 2.6.9-looxt93c2 i686 GNU/Linux