Re: Scrolling chirps while playing sound!

Adam Funk wrote:

Whenever I'm playing sound files (using xmms, grip and other
applications), the computer adds very short interruptions to the sound
when lines scroll on any visible application.

Hi Adam. It may sound odd, but check that DMA is enabled on your hard drives. (hdparm -I /dev/hda). If it's not, you're probably only getting around 1MB/second, which does cause dropouts and chirping sounds on my system. When I enable DMA (hdparm -d 1), the throughput goes up to 50MB/second and the sound problems disappear.

If this is your problem, look at /etc/hdparm.conf to turn it on permanently.