Re: Firewall on DSL router - good enough?

Davor_Balder/FOAMS/PACBRANDS/PACDUN@pacbrands.com.au wrote:
Hi all,

I have recently acquired a router/dsl modem with built-in firewall
(according to manufacturers technical documentation) and am planning to use
it with my Debian box.

I have noticed there is a firewall built in as well as NAT and a few other
bits and pieces.

Google search revealed there are quite a few manufacturers that offer DSL
modems/routers with firewall protocols built in.

From a practical point of view, how good are these and should I consider
rolling my own firewall?

regards,

davor

I use one at home, and I have never had a problem really.

Depending on the brand/model, you may find you can do more in ways of port forwarding and such, as some only allow a set number of forwards, different management types (there is a web based config for the router, but for the port forwards you need to do it through telnet).

Alot of people rather being able to do everything via their own gateway box, as it lets them monitor the usage more as well (either, viewing logs/snmp/whatever else).