Re: Debain woody install with a Megaraid 320-2

--- Brian Schrock <bschrock@integralink.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have a Supermicro server with an LSI Megaraid
> 320-2 that I am trying to
> install Debian Woody on. The standard boot images
> are not able to recognize
> the Megaraid SCSI controller so I am unable to
> install debian on it.
>

> Through Google I found the Dell web pages that show
> some boot/root floppies
> that allowed me to install debian stable, but after
> rebooting I was unable
> to mount root (probably because the installed kernel
> did not have the
> megaraid driver in it). During the install it cannot
> install the kernel
> modules from the disk because it require the
> 2.4.21-pre1 modules.
>
> Does anyone have any experience installing Debian
> Woody on system with a
> Megaraid 320 or does anyone know how I can build my
> own boot disks with the
> proper kernel support for my hardware to do the
> install?
>
> Brian,

I had a similar problem with a dell 1600SC, there are
two options in order to solve this:

1. Preload existing modules from a floppy or floppies.
2. Replace the kernel in the rescue disk with your
own.
Both of them are explain at the chapter 10 of the
documentation at:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-boot-floppy-techinfo.en.html

Installing Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 For Intel x86
Chapter 10 - Technical Information on the Boot
Floppies

It works for me.

I hope this help.

=====
--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)