Re: Please help: Sarge+KDE terribly slow!?

On November 14, 2004 05:16, Thomas Adam wrote:
>  --- Mirek Stefanski <Miroslaw.Stefanski@aster.pl> wrote:
> > But one day I decided to upgrade to Sarge - after one day battle it was
> > done. Now I have to wait about 10 minutes to start KDE desktop, and
>
> This is normal for KDE.

No its not! I have a similarly old 350 MHz system and have no where near start
times like that.  From following the kde list the most common problem for
people with extremely slow start times is the network setup (Even if the
machine is not networked).  Kde is waiting for a response and the system is
timing out.  Make sure loopback is in /etc/network/interfaces and that
the /etc/networks file is OK.  Also check your /etc/host* files and that
nothing strange is happening with dns.

RJP