Re: Will Debian grow and stay?

cr writes:
> In very general terms - as I understand it the restriction is the US ban
> on the export of 'encryption software'.

That was dropped years ago.

> How Micro$oft get around it I don't know, maybe they've just got big
> lawyers and lots of influence.

They have to get licenses in advance of exporting crypto (though the
licenses are trivially easy to get).

> So, to avoid the spooks from throwing some Debian mirror's owner into
> jail for 50,000 years for including some app. with encryption built in,
> such apps are only carried on mirrors outside the US.

Crypto has been in Main and carried on US mirrors for years.  The only
requirement now is that when a new crypto program is uploaded a copy of the
source must be emailed to the Commerce Dept.

I believe that the only things left in non-us are programs that infringe US
patents.
--
John Hasler