Re: create GRUB boot disk (sarge)

Wayne Topa(brittman@capital.net) is reported to have said:
> Antonio Rodriguez(arodriguez31@cfl.rr.com) is reported to have said:
> > >
> > > gazillion ways to make a boot disk
> > >
> > > 	http://linux-boot.net/Loaders/Grub/
> > >
> > > for grub boot floppy, the files you need on the floppy:
> > > 	- stage1, stage2, menu.lst, grub.conf, device.map
> >
> > I have made a ton of grub boot floopies, but have never succeeded to
> > insert the menu.lst into it. Every time I have tried I just have
> > messed up the floppy. If anyone has indications (that he/she has
> > actually done it, not read about it!, and worked) I am sure that many
> > will be happy to hear.

<-- Fixed USER typos --->  Sorry Guys  Guess the random Sig says it all!

 I have also had a problem making either a boot floppy or a boot CD
 with menu.lst.  If the grub documentation isn't wrong, it is at least,
 confusing.

 _But_, this topic did cause me to go try, again and this time I have a
 working boot floppy _with_ a menu.lst!  Most of the  procedure is from
 the Grub Manual

 mke2fs /dev/fd0
 mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /mnt
 grub-install --root-directory=/mnt fd0
                                   ^   A space
 # Not in the manual
 cp -p /boot/grub/menu.lst /mnt/boot/grub/
 umount /mnt

 Now I, finally, have a boot floppy that has the same menu that
 /dev/hda has!

 If anyone has found a way, that works, to do the same to a CD I would
 appreciate hearing how you did it.  The Grub manual procedure does
 bring up the menu but it won't boot!  The error 'error-6 mismatched or
 corrupt stage1/stage2' is all you get if you select any of the menu
 options.  You end up having to boot with the command line.

 Another gripe:  I can't find, in the Grub Manual, any mention of how
 to add the boot opeion 'vga='  I do have it working but just can't
 find it in the docs!

 :-) HTH, YMMV, HAND :-)
 Wayne

--
USER, n.:
        The word computer professionals use when they mean "idiot."