Re: create GRUB boot disk (sarge)

On (12/11/04 14:32), linux@networkingnewsletter.org.uk wrote:
> A quick one (can't find answers by searching www.debian.org), but how do I
> create a boot (rescue?) floppy for sarge which seems to use GRUB? (I tried
> mkboot as per LILO but it didn't seem a happy bunny.) Thanks, Michael
Googling for: grub debian howto
gets you to the answer:

http://www.linuxexposed.com/internal.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=printpage&artid=39

Creating a GRUB boot floppy

If you want to create a boot floppy that uses GRUB you can do so like
this:

cat /boot/grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage2 > /dev/fd0

or if you have a separate boot partition:

cat /boot/boot/grub/stage1 /boot/boot/grub/stage2 > /dev/fd0

When you boot from this floppy it'll give you a GRUB prompt, which you
can use to boot a kernel off your hard drive:

root (hd0,0)

This is the device that has the kernel you want to boot - in my case
it's my /boot partition /dev/hda1, which GRUB sees as hd0,0.

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.19-jp14 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791

This line sets where the kernel is located - /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-jp14
on my file system, but since /boot is a separate partition, and that's
set as root in GRUB, it's just /vmlinuz-2.4.19-jp14. If /boot wasn't a
separate partition, your image would be more like
/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19-jp14. It also sets some kernel options, in this
case I set the root partition and vga=791 which gives a 1024x768
framebuffer console.

boot

The boot command is what boots you up using the options you set in the
commands above. If you want to boot using a kernel off a floppy:

root (fd0)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.19-jp14 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791

boot?

*Note that you can hit tab after typing kernel / and it will auto
complete the filename for you, in case you don't know the exact filename
of the kernel.

Regards

Clive

--