Re: New vim-doc package in unstable is very broken; don't install!

On 11/11/2004 06:45 PM, Kevin B. McCarty wrote:

> I was just bitten by a problem in the preinst of the latest version of
> the vim-doc package.  If you are tracking unstable, put it on hold until
>  version 1:6.3-031+2 becomes available; version 1:6.3-031+1 will delete
> any symlinks and regular files in the /usr/share/doc directory.

By the way, if you've already been hit by this, and if it matters to
you, here is an inelegant fix.  The following commands will reinstall
all of the packages that do not have a corresponding directory or
symlink in /usr/share/doc.  (Not a practical solution for people on
dial-up, I'm afraid; in that case you could examine diff.txt after the
fourth line and recreate the symlinks manually, with some effort
involved in figuring out what links to what.)

cd /tmp
COLUMNS=200 dpkg -l | grep '^ii' | awk '{print $2}' > pkgs.txt
ls -1 /usr/share/doc > docs.txt
diff pkgs.txt doc.txt | grep '<' | awk '{print $2}' > diff.txt
xargs apt-get -y --reinstall install < diff.txt

note that the flag to ls on the third line is a "one", not an "ell".

regards,

GPG public key ID: 4F83C751                 Princeton, NJ 08544