Re: installing nvidia drivers - kernel-headers problem

Hi Bram.

> I would like to install the nvidia drivers on my laptop.  I found a
> HOWTO that looks very nice on
> http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debian-nVidia/installation.html
>
> Before starting with the installation I wanted to install all required
> packages to see if everything would go as easy as it is described in
> this HOWTO.
>
> Installing module-assistant and nvidia-kernel-common went fine but I
> didn't perform the 'module-assistant auto-install nvidia' step yet.
>
> According to the HOWTO I will also need the package
> 'kernel-headers-$KVERS where $KVERS is the output from `uname -r`.
>
> On my laptop uname -r gives: 2.6.6-1-386 but there is no package
> 'kernel-headers-2.6.6-1-386'.  So I looked at the output of apt-cache
> search kernel-headers and noticed a package 'kernel-headers-2.6-386'.
> Will this package suffice?

Hm, I'm not sure.  But the nice thing about module-assistant is that it's
supposed to figure this out for you.  So you don't have to install the
kernel-headers-* package at all; run module-assistant, and it will find and
apt-get install the right package for you.  If you're not ready to run the
whole auto-install yet, then try just 'module-assistant prepare' or maybe
'module-assistant -v prepare' and see what it tells you it's doing.

> According to /proc/cpuinfo the laptop has a "Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R)
> 4 CPU 3.06GHz" does this mean I should opt for the package
> 'kernel-headers-2.6-686' in stead?  Or does this mean I should also get
> the 686-kernel first?

I believe the -686 version is better when your CPU supports it, as yours
does.  Let us know what you find out about that.

Good luck,
Andrew.