Re: upgrading KDE

--- Jason Rennie <jrennie@csail.mit.edu> wrote:

> Another thing you could try: 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.
>  That *should*
> bring your entire system up-to-date with the current
> Sarge.
>
> Jason
Jason,

Have you tried it yourself?  I had a terrible
experience with it and would not recommend it; many
packages got downloaded but did not automatically
install due to the maze of dependencies.  Efforts to
"force" them to install broke the whole system and I
had to go back to my disks (Woody) and start from
scratch.

In the end I decided that carefully upgading only the
things you need is best.  For example, Konqueror on my
2.2.2 KDE doesn't do a lot of things (https for one)
and looks awful the way it handles fonts.  I switched
to the "mozilla" package and that thing is great.  KDE
2.2.2 does file management and desktop things fine so
I'm just not going to upgrade it.  The new version is
huge, too.

Basically I've decided that one only upgrades the
kernel-image package and then on a case by case basis
one upgrades other programs and libraries as you use
them or are told to (eg libc6 2.3.x).  I'm assuming
since the "apt-get dist-upgrade" option exists then
some users have had a better time with it but I am not
one of them.

I use "aptitude" now instead of "apt-get", it seems
better.  I still use the command line instead of that
ncurses GUI that riminds me of the horror show that is
"dselect".

Good Luck,

ejd