Re: PCMCIA modem

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 12:20, debian@uku.co.uk wrote:
> How can I tell if a modem is set up properly?
>
> If I insert the card I get the higher pitched beep and a message that
> ttyS01 is a 16550A.  Hmmm - is that good or bad?  Does it mean that (when
> I eventually get round to using the modem to dial up) everything is OK?
>
> Grateful for any light anyone can shed!
>
> Regards
>
>  - Joe

I believe you should get two beeps.  If the second beep is a lower tone, I
think that means configuration failed.  One beep may mean the card was not
detected at all, but don't quote me on that.  Still, the fact that it
reports ttyS01 as a 16550A is a good thing, as that's what happens on my
notebook when I plug in a pcmcia modem.

In any case, check your logs to see what exactly happened.  I'd start
with /var/log/syslog.  If it looks like everything is OK, then fire up
pppconfig, and have it autodetect your modem.  If that doesn't work, post
the relevant portion of your syslog, your kernel version, whether your
using udev, devfs, or old style /dev, the chipset of your modem, and your
relevant modules loaded, and someone one this list may be able to help you.

Justin Guerin