Re: [Debian] AMD 64 bit architecture

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 02:57:51 -0800 (PST), Ibrahim Mubarak
<ibmub80@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an AMD 64 [Socket 754] processor. However, I installed Debian Sarge for the x86
> architecture. Is it best to stay like this, or to change to a 64 bit one? As I was told that the
> x86 kernel is optimized for the Hammer processor.
>
> And if I want to change, is it enough to compile a kernel for the 64 bit arch and install it, or
> do I have to install Debian all over again?

I don't know how the IA32 compatibility layer for the AMD 64 works,
but i suspect you need all the applications compiled for 64 bit, so
recompiling only the kernel probably wouldn't be enough.

There's a project on Alioth about the AMD64 port of Debian:
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/debian-amd64/

Andrea