Re: [Very OT] IIS Basic Authentication can be used for phishing

William Ballard wrote:

Just learned IIS Basic authentication transmits
a users user name and password in Base64 over the internet.

MS recommends you use SSL with it.

But, even if you do that, can't you use an ISAPI
to silently phish somebody's password?  Or even if the dialog
comes up, Granma and Granpa will hit okay.

Hm.  Sorry, I know it's very OT, but I don't want to subscribe
to a security list just to make this one observation.

Any thoughts?
How is this different from Apache's basic authentication, which I believe also passes user/pass information as plain text?

You should use SSL with Apache too.

Regards, Upayavira