Re: kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686 unable to mount root

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 14:43:07 -0700, Justin Guerin <jguerin@cso.atmel.com> wrote:

> This error might be happening because Knoppix is not Debian.  Last time I
> did a Knoppix hard disk install, it used XFS.  XFS is provided as a file
> system driver module in some kernels (I'm pretty sure Sarge has it), but
> you have to make sure that you add it to the initial ram disk in order to
> boot properly.
>
> Stock kernels don't compile XFS into the kernel because they want to keep
> the kernel lean, and it's not explicitly required to have your file system
> driver compiled in statically in order to use it.  Stock kernels are all
> about flexibility, so everything is compiled as a module.  It's just that
> the file system module is harder to use than the rest.
>
> In any case, I could be wrong, if your file system isn't XFS.  What
> does /etc/fstab say?  Also, are those modules in the initial ram disk?

I use ext3 for all my files partition.

My /etc/fstab is:

# filesystem  mountpoint  type  options  dump  pass
/dev/hda7  /  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
/dev/hda9  /var  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
/dev/hda10  /tmp  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
/dev/hda11  /home  ext3  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1

proc  /proc  proc  defaults  0  0
/dev/fd0  /floppy  autofs  defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022  0  0
usbdevfs  /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  defaults  0  0
sysfs  /sys  sysfs  defaults  0  0

I've tried one suggestion found from googling, to put ext2 after ext3.
something like:
/dev/hda7  /  ext3,ext2  defaults,errors=remount-ro  0  1
but, that did not solve the problem also.

help, anybody?