Re: Can't burn CDs since kernel 2.6.7 - am I the only one?

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 11:33, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Following my upgrading to linux 2.6.7 I have been unable to burn a CD.
> This is still true now, even as root, with kernel 2.6.9, having also
> tried 2.6.8
>
> I know there was a lot of fuss with cdrecord and 2.6.8, but my problems
> seem to predate that.
>
> What happens, when I try to do any simple command is that one of the
> child processes of cdrecord seems to be stuck in the D state in the
> kernel.  That is, its done an uninterrruptable IO request which has not
> been detected as completed by the kernel driver (ide-cd?).  This means
> you can't kill the process (even with kill -9) and the only way to get
> rid of it is with a reboot.  (there was a recent discussion on processes
> getting into this state on the kernel mailing list).
>
> Just so everyone is clear of the situation, the second IDE channel has
> two cdrom like drives.  /dev/hdc is the cdrw device which I am trying to
> use to burn, /dev/hdd is a dvd device.
>
> I used the simple command
>
> cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 blank=fast
>
> and (with a Rewriteable CD in the drive) it then preceeds to hang.
>
> As I can reboot into Windows XP and burn CDs perfectly, and (at least for
> me) means I have been with a substandard system for a couple of months
> now. Google around as hard as I try, I cannot seem to find any indication
> that someone else has such a problem (other than the debian bug report
> 265747)
>
> It looks to me to be some form of kernel error in the driver.  Has anyone
> any idea, even if have have to rebuild the kernel, how I can debug this?

I had the same problem using 2.6.6 and a USB DVD writer burning CDs with K3B
as the frontend.  Switching to a CD writer, I haven't had problems.  I
don't have the DVD writer anymore, so I can't check it, and I have no idea
what was going wrong, but you should know that you are not alone.

Justin Guerin