Re: alsa won't work unless i kill esd

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:01:19 +0800 (CST)
ms linux <deb_milist@yahoo.com.sg> wrote:

> sorry for another trivial question about alsa.
> i use sid 2.4.27 and gnome for desktop.
> recently if i want xmms play my mp3s, i have to kill
> esd first.... :-(
> this happen since alsa updates to 1.0.6
> seem that alsa and esd use the same resource (
> /dev/dsp )
> maybe

This sounds more like xmms is trying to play directly through alsa,
instead of esd. Check which output plugin you have xmms set to use - you
should be using the eSound output plugin.

If everything looks ok there, make sure you have libesd-alsa0 installed,
instead of libesd0 (the latter is for esd to use OSS sound drivers, the
former for esd to use alsa sound drivers).

HTH,
Jacob