Re: Debian creates duplicate image files with strange extensions!

Siju George wrote:

Hi Ron,

Thanks a lot for the Reply

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 08:04:18 -0600, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

Are you so sure that *Debian* does this, and *should* be fixed?

No Idea Ron! but because of that I am not able to copy the folder
through windows to take backup!

I get the error saying that the specified resource does not exist
Thankyou somuch

Kind regards

Siju

What those file names look like to me are something that Microsoft uses with NTFS called ADS (Alternate Data Streams). Do a Google search for lads.exe and ADS. Download and install lads. Then run lads on the contents of an NTFS folder. (It is a command line tool so you will have to place it in your system path.) When you run it you will find file names very much like the ones you listed here. Why they are showing up in Samba I don't know. What file system are you using with Samba directories? That may have something to do with it. LInux may see these files and make them visible where the Microsoft kernel won't do that. ADS is used intermittently (some files have it others don't) by Win2K, and I would imagine, XP and I have often found the ADS files used with the file extensions that you listed. ADS files take up no space on an NTFS file system. I know it's hard to believe, but you can create a 100 mb text file, hide it using ADS and you won't find an increase in the space used on your hard disk. ADS is something that some crackers use to hide things on compromised systems and the only way to find them is through the use of lads.exe and streams.exe. I have found lads.exe to be much more stable than streams.exe as streams will sometimes hang or crash if its log file gets too large. I've never run into that with lads.exe even with log files of a few hundred megabtyes.